06 Nov 2020 — POCITYF establishes a working group to share knowledge on the topics of smart cities and communities in cultural heritage areas
The Smart Connected Communities for Positive Energy Blocks in Cultural Heritage Areas Working Group (WG) has been established to gather expertise on the topics of smart cities and communities and Positive Energy Blocks (balance between energy consumption and production at local level) in cultural heritage areas.
This group has been created on the initiative of POCITYF, as part of the work on Clustering and Coordination with Smart City Initiatives and Partnerships.
The next working group meeting will take place on October 28th at 15:30 PM in Valencia and online. Registrations will open soon.
The aim of this Working Group is to create a community of professionals to:
- facilitate the exchange of practices and knowledge in the field of smart cities and communities to achieve Positive Energy Blocks, while addressing the constraints experienced in heritage cities;
- lead new ideas and cooperate at European level to develop new projects focused on smart cities and communities for Positive Energy Blocks applied to cultural heritage cities;
- disseminate best practices in initiatives related to the topic of smart cities, energy transition, and Positive Energy Blocks (for instance those of POCITYF);
- engage partners and followers to work on common initiatives and projects;
- increase the support provided for local and regional agencies and SMEs on the energy transition challenge.
The WG will be coordinated by the municipality of Évora (Portugal), which plays a leading role in this field. Over the last decades, Évora has made a clear commitment to tackle climate change by focusing on measures targeting sustainability: an emblematic example is the implementation of the first Electricity Smart Grids in Portugal, which shows how to combine the production and distribution of electricity while preserving the cultural heritage of the country.
Activities of the Smart Heritage Cities WG
The members of the WG will be divided into sub-groups to deal with the following topics:
- Smart Cities and Communities
- Positive Energy Blocks in Cultural Heritage Areas
However, any proposals and inputs for other topics of interest to the members and stakeholders are welcome.
The Working Group meetings will take place four times per year. The first two meetings took place on the 24th of Novembre 2020 and on the 13th of April 2021 (recording available here). The first in-person meeting will be held once the situation will allow to meet safely.
Join the working group here!